Friday, August 8, 2014

Meg Erke Upcycles Books and Windows into Art for Your Walls and Musings


LoLa artist Meg Erke repurposes a variety of materials to make journals and mixed media compositions. “I am a book artist and painter,” she says. 

“I use salvaged and repurposed materials as the foundation for both mediums, using old book covers from damaged or discarded books to rebind into journals."


I then use the insides of the old books as collage material in my paintings. I use old windows as my ‘canvas.’ collaging and layering paint on both sides of the glass. I studied book binding in the late ’90s and started painting only a few years before that; but only recently have I found a way to put both forms together.



What inspires/informs your art?
One of the things I love most about this neighborhood is our proximity to parks and trails. Hiking, biking, canoeing, and being outside inspire me.  



What do you like about LoLa? Why did you join?
I love our neighborhood!  When I explain to folks why they need to make time to do this art crawl (when there are so many things going on at the end of summer), I talk about the variety. Never have I been a part of an art crawl that has such a wide range of mediums, as well as personalities. 


My favorite thing about this crawl is that we have everyone from full-time professional artists to folks who build cool stuff in their basements in their free time, and everyone is included. 



Will you be doing anything special for LoLa?
Refreshments, coptic binding demos, and a drawing for a giclee print of one of my mixed media originals. 


Meg is returning for her fourth LoLa art crawl and will be showing at Flourish Pilates studio this year. 

Visit Meg’s Wordpress site, Upstairs Art, to see more pictures and learn about where to find (and buy) her artwork after LoLa.


No comments:

Post a Comment